Tue | May 19, 2026

St Lucia records nearly 900 cases of dengue fever

Published:Friday | November 6, 2020 | 10:00 AM
The authorities have indicated that at least three persons have died from the disease - Contributed photo.

CASTRIES, St Lucia, CMC – St Lucia has recorded nearly 900 confirmed cases of the mosquito-borne dengue fever with health authorities warning that infections were being reported all across the island.

In a statement, Medical Officer of Health, Dr Glensford Joseph, noted that as of October 24, the island had recorded 888 confirmed and 365 suspected dengue fever cases.

So far, three persons have died from the disease, which is spread by the Aedes aegypti mosquito.

Joseph said the age range for reported cases was from 3 weeks to 94-years-old.

He added that the five to 14 years age group accounted for 35 per cent of all cases, followed by the 15 to 24 years age group and the 25 to 49 years age group with 21 per cent of the cases for each group.

The authorities said that 215 of the confirmed dengue cases were hospitalised and that all health regions continue to be affected by the occurrence of dengue.

However, the highest number of confirmed cases continues to be in the northern part of the island.  

The capital, Castries, accounted for 28 per cent of the cases, followed by Gros-Islet 19 per cent and Babonneau with eight per cent of the cases.

The southern town of Vieux Fort accounted for 11 per cent, while Micoud and Dennery on the east coast each accounted for eight per cent of cases.

“To date, two strains of dengue viruses, DENV3 and DENV2, have been identified as being in circulation in St Lucia during this outbreak. In its mild form, dengue fever may present with fever, headache, pain behind the eyes, muscle and joint pains and a red itchy rash,” Joseph said.

Follow The Gleaner on Twitter and Instagram @JamaicaGleaner and on Facebook @GleanerJamaica. Send us a message on WhatsApp at 1-876-499-0169 or email us at onlinefeedback@gleanerjm.com or editors@gleanerjm.com.