Mon | May 18, 2026

Puerto Rico to receive nearly $4B in US pandemic funds

Published:Monday | June 28, 2021 | 4:17 PM
A healthcare worker inoculates 59-year-old Raymon Diaz with a dose of the Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccine during a vaccination campaign as part of the “Noche de San Juan” festivities, a traditional all-day celebration to mark the birth of St John the Baptist, at the Ultimo Trolley public beach in San Juan, Puerto Rico, Wednesday, June 23, 2021. (AP Photo/Carlos Giusti)

SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico (AP) — United States Education Secretary Miguel Cardona said Monday that Puerto Rico will receive nearly $4 billion in federal education pandemic relief funds to help boost the territory's fight against COVID-19.

The announcement was made during Cardona's official three-day trip to Puerto Rico, the first for a Biden administration Cabinet member.

It marks the first time the island has full access to those funds.

“The students of Puerto Rico have suffered enough,” he said.

“It's time to get back to school safely and quickly.”

Roughly half of the nearly $4 billion will be released as part of the American Rescue Plan Act, which was signed into law in March to help offset the pandemic's impact on the economy and public health.

Puerto Rico reopened dozens of public and private schools in March for the first time since the pandemic began, although less than 100 of the island's more than 850 public schools were authorised to do so.

At the time, only kindergarteners, special education students and children in first, second, third and 12th grades were allowed to return to school for in-person classes twice a week.

A month later, officials closed all schools given a spike in COVID-19 cases and didn't reopen some of them until May.

For more than a year, many teachers and students have struggled with ongoing power outages and unreliable or nonexistent Internet connections amid virtual learning.

Some 24,000 students failed their classes this year, with 13,000 receiving an 'F' in all their courses, prompting the island's Department of Education to hold summer courses to help them with the help of $210 million in previously approved federal funds.

Follow The Gleaner on Twitter and Instagram @JamaicaGleaner and on Facebook @GleanerJamaica. Send us a message on WhatsApp at 1-876-499-0169 or email us at onlinefeedback@gleanerjm.com or editors@gleanerjm.com.