Thu | May 21, 2026

Former government minister in Guyana accused of sexual assault released on bail

Published:Wednesday | May 15, 2024 | 9:04 AM
Nigel Dharamlall. - CMC photo.

GEORGETOWN, Guyana, May 15 – Former government minister Nigel Dharamlall is due to return to a police station on Wednesday as investigations continue into allegations that he sexually assaulted a woman.

Dharamlall, who was released on $500,000 bail Tuesday night, had earlier surrendered to the police for questioning in relation to the allegations.

The executive member of the ruling People's Progressive Party has repeatedly denied the allegations, which was made by Sarah Hakh, a former employee of the Ministry of Local Government.

Dharamlall, who last year was accused by a 16-year-old schoolgirl of sexually assaulting her, said in a statement that “from the outset, I wish to categorically and most vehemently deny each and every one of the allegations made by the woman.”

In July last year, police said that the 16-year-old schoolgirl who had accused the former local government minister of rape had said she no longer wanted to pursue the matter.

On Tuesday, his attorney, Bernard Da Silva, said his client maintains his innocence.

The former local government minister was questioned for several hours on Tuesday by investigators as part of standard procedures.

Follow The Gleaner on X, formerly Twitter, and Instagram @JamaicaGleaner and on Facebook @GleanerJamaica. Send us a message on WhatsApp at 1-876-499-0169 or email us at onlinefeedback@gleanerjm.com or editors@gleanerjm.com.