Private schools awaiting ministry’s decision on COVID-19 relief
WESTERN BUREAU:
The Jamaica Independent Schools Association (JISA) is currently awaiting the Ministry of Education’s decision on whether the island’s independently run schools will be getting state relief in light of the impact of the coronavirus pandemic.
JISA President Dr Faithlyn Wilson said that her organisation has submitted data to support its plea for government aid and she is anticipating a favourable response.
“The Ministry of Education asked us to submit some staff data, and that data was submitted yesterday,” Wilson told The Gleaner on Thursday. “The ministry has not yet made it clear to us exactly what the support [is likely to] be, but we expect it will be some kind of financial support, hence the request for the data.”
She said that the schools were now ensuring that staff were equipped to teach classes online if the Government should announce a resumption of classes next week.
Following the confirmation of the first case of the coronavirus on the island in March, the Government ordered the closure of all schools.
Jamaica has recorded 143 infections and five deaths as a result of the highly contagious virus which causes the COVID-19 respiratory disease.
JISA had previously expressed concern that some of Jamaica’s approximately 600 private schools may have to permanently close their doors due to the financial fallout from the closure.
“We’re talking with our parents to encourage them to support us, because we’re seeing a fall-off in fee payments,” said Wilson, who represents 150 private schools islandwide. “At this point in time, we’re really looking to our parents to give that kind of support to ensure that we can go online to teach, and so that we can continue to provide the quality education that persons have come to expect from private schools.”

