Sun | May 24, 2026

Opposition calls for independent commission into fatal shooting by alleged rogue cops

Published:Thursday | May 2, 2019 | 4:07 PM
Fitz Jackson - File photo

The Parliamentary Opposition is calling for the government to set up an independent inquiry into Sunday’s fatal shooting of a businessman by alleged rogue cops in St Catherine.

The three cops were attached to the police’s Mobile Reserve.

Oversight body the Independent Commission of Investigations (INDECOM) yesterday reported that three of the five firearms recovered from the scene were police service weapons.

READ: Guns seized after St Catherine shootout are police-issued firearms

Further, INDECOM said that also recovered two sets of registration plates, a third set was attached to the front and rear of the car; a police vehicle logbook for one set of the plates found inside the car; and a detachable police blue emergency light.

In a statement this afternoon, Spokesman on National Security, Fitz Jackson, argued that the establishment of an independent commission is needed restore public confidence in the police force.

“We need to recall that there have been similar claims made previously of incidents in the Clarendon Police Division, in Montego Bay and in the Corporate Area of similar horrifying events which demands a full and independent inquiry.  All of these events raise grave concerns regarding the quality of the leadership of the JCF and the Ministry of the National Security,” said Jackson

“Nothing short of a panel appointed under the Commission of Enquiry Act will satisfy the Parliamentary Opposition on this issue which has grave implications for the life of every single Jamaican, regardless of class, colour, religion or political affiliation,” he asserted.

Earlier today, National Security Minister Dr Horace Chang announced that Mobile Reserve is to be disbanded and that its boss, Senior Superintendent Terrence Bent, has been sent on leave to facilitate an investigation.

READ: Police Mobile Reserve to be disbanded

Jackson is insisting that Chang must give Jamaicans a full account of Sunday’s events, appoint a commission to investigate the matter and assure the public of continued professionalism of the police force.

Full Statement

The People’s National Party (PNP) Shadow Minister of National Security, Mr Fitz Jackson, M.P., said the announced ‘reformation’ of the Jamaica Constabulary Force (JCF) appears to have emanated from an ongoing internal crisis in the national security apparatus and the loose leadership and administration of the Jamaica  Constabulary Force (JCF)  as manifested in the frightening events at Chedwin Park on the Old Harbour Road, which exposed the existence of what appears to be an active “hit” squad within the ranks of the Mobile Reserve.

Mr Jackson said the statement by National Security Minister Horace Chang on the incident is most inadequate.

In light of the conflicting statements made on the Chedwin Park incident by the Commissioner of Police and his crime chief, and the grave implication for the country’s national security, the JCF and the Ministry of National Security, it requires nothing less than a prompt independent inquiry to restore public confidence in the institution of the Constabulary. He said also that this level of investigation cannot be left to any re-assigned JCF officer because in this sensitive matter the JCF should not be allowed to investigate itself.  

Mr Jackson said he is very concerned because other similar recent incidents in other parts of the country are yet to be accounted for by the Police High Command. 

“We need to recall that there have been similar claims made previously of incidents in the Clarendon Police Division, in Montego Bay and in the Corporate Area of similar horrifying events which demands a full and independent inquiry.  All of these events raise grave concerns regarding the quality of the leadership of the JCF and the Ministry of the National Security”, Mr Jackson said.

“Nothing short of a panel appointed under the Commission of Enquiry Act will satisfy the Parliamentary Opposition on this issue which has grave implications for the life of every single Jamaican, regardless of class, colour, religion or political affiliation”, he asserted.

Given the fact that the Minister of National Security made no mention of the proposed dissolution of the Mobile Reserve during his recent sectoral presentation to the Parliament, it is not unreasonable to draw the inference that this latest announcement is a knee-jerk reaction being presented as a decision-making process in the command structure of the JCF. 

Minister Chang must give the country a full account of the events, appoint a commission to investigate and assure the public of continued professionalism of the JCF.

Mr Jackson said it was the responsibility of the Commissioner of Police to ensure that the JCF is properly managed in accordance with the law and established procedures.

We want to hear from you! Send us a message on WhatsApp at 1-876-499-0169, email us at editors@gleanerjm.com or onlinefeedback@gleanerjm.com.