Sun | May 24, 2026

KSAMC probing alleged apartment construction breaches by NWC boss and wife

Published:Friday | January 12, 2024 | 7:54 PM
President of the National Water Commission, Mark Barnett. - File photo.

The Kingston and St Andrew Municipal Corporation (KSAMC) is reporting that the alleged construction breach by the President of the National Water Commission, Mark Barnett, and his wife, Annette, is currently the subject of an internal investigation.

In a statement, the KSAMC says among the matters being investigated is the variation between the reports regarding the findings of the officers of the National Environment and Planning Agency (NEPA) and the municipal corporation regarding the construction of an apartment complex located at Charlemont Drive in St Andrew.

“Once these investigations are completed, the KSAMC will take all necessary and appropriate actions to ensure that the building and planning laws are enforced and adhered to.”

An investigation conducted by the Integrity Commission confirmed that NEPA issued building, planning, and environmental permits to the Barnetts for the construction of two three-storey blocks consisting of 12 one-bedroom units.

However, Director of Investigations at the Integrity Commission Kevon Stephenson concluded, in a scathing 90-page report made public last October, that the development, now listed as completed, consists of six two-bedroom units and six three-bedroom units, “in breach of the permits issued”.

Barnett was placed on administrative leave on October 13 last year following the release of the report.

In a ruling on Thursday, the Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions stated that no criminal charges can be brought against them because the passage of time has made the case statute-barred.

A case is statute-barred when the timeframe stipulated in law for it to be placed before the court has expired.

Instead, the office has directed that the case against Barnett and his wife Annette be referred to the KSAMC to conduct an “administrative review” in accordance with the provisions of the Building Act.

“Consequent upon the result of this administrative review, it would be a matter purely within the remit of the KSAMC to decide whether an invitation is to be issued to the Jamaica Constabulary Force to conduct an investigation into possible breaches of the said Building Act,” it said.

Today, the municipal corporation indicated that the matter is already being investigated.

Further, it says it is involved in a dynamic and ongoing process of reviewing the administrative regime for building approvals, which has resulted in several measures taken to strengthen these processes.

Follow The Gleaner on X, formerly Twitter, and Instagram @JamaicaGleaner and on Facebook @GleanerJamaica. Send us a message on WhatsApp at 1-876-499-0169 or email us at onlinefeedback@gleanerjm.com or editors@gleanerjm.com.