Mon | May 18, 2026

St Catherine man accused of car theft freed after making restitution

Published:Tuesday | February 20, 2024 | 4:59 PM
Thomas was arrested on suspicion of simple larceny, larceny of a motor vehicle and fraudulent use of licence plates. - File photo

A man who was accused of stealing a motor car was freed in the St Catherine Parish Court on Tuesday after repaying $1.3 million to the complainant.

Senior Parish Court Judge Yvette Wenthworth-Miller told Orandi Thomas, of a St Catherine address, that he was free to go after the prosecution offered no evidence against him.

Attorney Walter Melbourne told the court that he was thankful that his client has reclaimed his liberty.

It is alleged that on February 1, 2024, police personnel tracked a Toyota Isis motor car which had been rented out after the customer failed to return the vehicle.

The vehicle was found at a welding shop with different licence plates.

Thomas was arrested on suspicion of simple larceny, larceny of a motor vehicle and fraudulent use of licence plates.

He was subsequently charged. 

- Rasbert Turner

Follow The Gleaner on X and Instagram @JamaicaGleaner and on Facebook @GleanerJamaica. Send us a message on WhatsApp at 1-876-499-0169 or email us at onlinefeedback@gleanerjm.com or editors@gleanerjm.com.