St James double murder accused gets bail after a year in custody
One of the two men who were arrested and charged by the police in connection with a daring daylight double murder in downtown Montego Bay, St James, has been granted bail after nearly a year in custody.
Richard Laoe, 33, was offered bail in the sum of $500,000 in the St James Circuit Court on Friday, his attorney Donnovan Collins confirmed.
His co-accused, taxi operator Renaldo Linton, 25, was earlier refused bail.
Collins said his client is grateful he has been offered bail, noting that “from day one, he has vehemently denied any involvement in any murder”.
“He can't wait for the day when this matter is disposed of so he can get on with his life,” the attorney told The Gleaner.
Laoe and Linton have been charged with murder, conspiracy to murder and possession of a prohibited weapon related to the shooting deaths of Ramone McFarlane, 31, and Iyahdeh Gooden, 27, on May 20 last year.
The police report that McFarlane, also called 'Brown Man', and Gooden, also called 'Siva', both from St James, were killed after the motor car in which they were travelling was sprayed with bullets near the intersection of Harbour and Union streets in downtown Montego Bay about 3:20 pm.
The killings occurred days after the Government declared a state of public emergency in St James.
Follow The Gleaner on X and Instagram @JamaicaGleaner and on Facebook @GleanerJamaica. Send us a message on WhatsApp at 1-876-499-0169 or email us at onlinefeedback@gleanerjm.com or editors@gleanerjm.com.

