Wed | May 20, 2026

$1.2-million bail offer for Manchester man on $18.7 million coke rap

Published:Thursday | May 30, 2024 | 12:09 AMChristopher Thomas/Gleaner Writer

WESTERN BUREAU:

Thomas Edwards, the Manchester resident who was arrested for allegedly trying to smuggle $18.7 million worth of cocaine through Montego Bay’s Sangster International Airport on May 22, was offered bail in the sum of $1.2 million when he appeared before the St James Parish Court yesterday.

Edwards, a 52-year-old United Kingdom (UK) citizen who is also of a Hatfield address in Manchester, pleaded not guilty to the charges of possession of, dealing in, attempting to export, and conspiracy to export eight and three-quarter pounds of cocaine when he appeared before presiding parish judge Kaysha Grant-Pryce.

During Edwards’ bail hearing, his attorney, Martyn Thomas, told the court that the defendant had come to Jamaica from the UK on vacation and that he had been cooperating with the authorities since his arrest.

“As it relates to the allegations, he denies knowing that the substance was in the suitcase. When he arrived here in Jamaica, his suitcase was damaged in transit by the airline … he was here with family members, and he asked a family member to assist him in purchasing a suitcase, and the suitcase was purchased, and he packed his items in it,” said Thomas.

“Without saying too much, we are assisting the police with an aspect of the investigation, which we hope will bear some fruit, but in the circumstances, we are hoping you will consider bail favourably for him,” Thomas added, while also pointing out that Edwards had no previous criminal record.

Meanwhile, the court was told that several documents were outstanding from the prosecution’s case-file, including the forensic certificate, a scene-of-crime statement and CD, and a statement from a justice of the peace. It was also disclosed that an additional four weeks would be needed to complete the file.

Grant-Pryce subsequently offered bail to Edwards in the sum of $1.2 million with two sureties and ordered him to submit his fingerprints to the police.

As part of his bail conditions, he was ordered to report to the police three times a week and to surrender his travel documents, and a stop-order is to be issued for him at all ports of entry.

“A stop-order must be in place prior to the bail being processed, so you’re going to need to provide some copy of your birth certificate, sir,” Grant-Pryce said in addressing Edwards while explaining the bail procedure.

The case will be mentioned again on June 26.

Allegations are that on May 22, at 5:10 p.m., Edwards was preparing to board a flight to Heathrow, London, at the Sangster International Airport, when a security check of his suitcase revealed a false compartment where three packages wrapped in black plastic were found.

The packages were examined and found to contain a substance resembling cocaine.

Under caution, Edwards reportedly said, concerning the suitcase, “A borrow mi borrow it, enuh. One of my drinking friends named Marcus.”

He was subsequently arrested and charged.

christopher.thomas@gleanerjm.com