Ousted Kingston Central caretaker Lawrence Rowe quits PNP
Ousted former People’s National Party (PNP) caretaker for the Kingston Central constituency Lawrence Rowe says he has resigned from the opposition party amid discontentment with its leadership.
Rowe, who was last week removed as the party’s prospective candidate for the expected general election this year, confirmed the news with The Gleaner Thursday evening.
He said he has resigned from all posts including membership in the PNP.
The decision comes a day after PNP President Mark Golding introduced retired Senior Superintendent of Police Steve McGregor as the party’s candidate to supporters in Kingston Central.
Rowe had accused the party of forcing him out of the position, noting that he had raised concerns about whether resources were deliberately being withheld from him to mount a successful challenge for the seat.
Rowe suggested that he was forced out of the position amid a breakdown in negotiations involving millions of dollars and a promised Senate position with the party's hierarchy.
The PNP has described the claims as spurious.
The PNP asserts that this is not how it operates.
“While such claims may spark political intrigue for some, they contradict the party's longstanding policies and practices,” declared the party in a media release today.
On Wednesday, Golding called the claims “lies”.
Rowe was reportedly facing a possible suspension from the party.
- Kimone Francis
Follow The Gleaner on X, formerly Twitter, and Instagram @JamaicaGleaner and on Facebook @GleanerJamaica. Send us a message on WhatsApp at 1-876-499-0169 or email us at onlinefeedback@gleanerjm.com or editors@gleanerjm.com.

