Mon | May 18, 2026

UPDATE | CMO confirms 'increase' in baby deaths at Victoria Jubilee Hospital; rules out infection outbreak

Published:Thursday | June 26, 2025 | 8:05 PM
Chief Medical Officer Dr Jacquiline Bisasor McKenzie
Chief Medical Officer Dr Jacquiline Bisasor McKenzie

Chief Medical Officer (CMO) Dr Jacquiline Bisasor McKenzie has confirmed "an increase" in the number of newborn deaths at the Victoria Jubilee Hospital (VJH) since the start of June. But she says the rise is not linked to an outbreak of infection at the island’s main maternity hospital.

In a statement released Wednesday afternoon, the Ministry of Health and Wellness acknowledged public concern over the recent deaths at the hospital’s Special Care Nursery, which caters to critically ill or premature newborns.

“The Ministry of Health and Wellness has reviewed the deaths at the Victoria Jubilee Hospital Special Care Nursery since the beginning of June 2025. There has been an increase compared to the previous months and to the same period last year. The deaths are not attributed to an outbreak of infection at the facility,” said Dr Bisasor McKenzie.

Though she did not specify how many babies have died since June 1, the CMO said the data showed a significant number of the deceased were medically fragile.

“We have seen that there has been an increase in the number of admissions to the Special Care Nursery since the start of June, and there has been an increase in the proportion of critically ill babies. Of the babies that died, 55% were premature and 60% had low birth weight. This adds to the fragility of these babies."

“Despite the efforts of the staff, some of these babies have succumbed to their illnesses,” she added.

The statement comes amid growing scrutiny following confirmation earlier Thursday from South Eastern Regional Health Authority (SERHA) head Lascelles Brown that “several premature babies” had died at VJH in recent weeks.

In a subsequent statement, the authority said: "preliminary data collection indicate that the majority of the affected babies were born prematurely with significant factors that could have predisposed to serious illness".

Meanwhile, Brown, speaking with Radio Jamaica News earlier, said a deeper investigation was underway to determine the cause of the deaths.

“The regional technical team, the regional technical director and the other specialists, including the SMO at VJH, they are currently conducting deeper analysis to find out what is the nature or the cause of those deaths,” Brown said. “So I await those reports and after that meeting, then I’ll be able to make a definitive statement.”

Brown noted that an uptick in neonatal deaths is not uncommon during Jamaica’s annual “peak season” for births, typically starting in June, when maternity hospitals see a rise in both deliveries and admissions to neonatal units.

“Premature babies have died and that has happened from time to time…especially coming up to this time of the year…we usually have an increase in premature babies and some not make it,” Brown explained.

Dr Bisasor McKenzie similarly signaled that the ministry is anticipating a seasonal surge in births and is stepping up preparedness islandwide.

“As we are at the beginning of the time when we see an increase in the number of births, every effort is being made across the island to prepare our healthcare workers and our facilities to adequately manage all cases.”

To address immediate concerns at VJH, she said SERHA and the hospital have implemented additional safety and operational measures.

“The regional health authority (SERHA) and the facility have put several measures in place to decrease the likelihood of infections, including increased spacing among the babies and enhanced infection prevention and control measures. The region also has put in place measures such as redeployment of staff and enhanced supplies and equipment monitoring to ensure that the capacity to manage the babies is optimized,” said the CMO.

This is not the first time Victoria Jubilee Hospital has been at the centre of public concern over neonatal deaths.

In 2022, the hospital experienced a spike in newborn fatalities caused by a bacterial outbreak, with Health Minister Dr Christopher Tufton confirming that nine babies died in July alone. Those deaths were linked to Klebsiella pneumoniae and Acinetobacter infections, and health authorities at the time cited staff shortages, overcrowding, and inadequate equipment as contributing factors.

A 2022 health ministry census showed the average daily births had surged from 28 in July and August to 42 in September, overwhelming capacity at VJH and prompting the formation of a special response team to curb the mortality rate.

The current concern has also revived memories of the 2015 “dead babies” scandal under the then Portia Simpson Miller administration, when an outbreak at two hospitals killed 18 infants over three months. Then Health Minister Dr Fenton Ferguson was heavily criticised by then Opposition Leader Dr Andrew Holness for his handling of the matter, which exploded during the lead-up to a general election.

STATEMENT FROM SOUTH EAST REGIONAL HEALTH AUTHORITY

: The South East Regional Health Authority (SERHA) acknowledges public concern regarding an increase in neonatal deaths at the Victoria Jubilee Hospital (VJH) during the month of June 2025 and has commenced its investigation. Preliminary data collection indicate that the majority of the affected babies were born prematurely with significant factors that could have predisposed to serious illness. As such, the established surge plan was activated, and all steps were taken to appropriately care for the patients.

The Region has confirmed that there is no outbreak of infection at the facility. There has been an increase in the number of admissions to the Special Care Nursery in June compared to previous months and compared to last year. With this increase, there has also been an increase in the number of critically ill babies. There has been a high number of premature babies and babies with low birth weight that adds to the vulnerability of the babies.

In keeping with usual a public health epidemiological investigation will continue led by the Regional Health Authority, in collaboration with the Kingston & St Andrew Health Department and the team at the VJH. Additional support is being provided by the Ministry of Health & Wellness.

The Regional Health Authority and the facility has put several measures in place to decrease the likelihood of infections including increased spacing among the babies and enhanced infection prevention and control measures. The priority remains to ensure a thorough, transparent, and evidence-based review of all factors.

The region has also put in place measures such as redeployment of staff and enhanced supplies and equipment monitoring, to ensure that the capacity to manage the babies is optimized.

SERHA expresses its sincerest condolences are extended to the families who have experienced the loss of a newborn during this period. We understand the pain that such a loss brings.

The findings of the investigation will guide any required interventions, and a public update will be provided once the process is complete. SERHA remains committed to ensuring the highest standards of care and safety for all patients across our facilities.

Follow The Gleaner on X and Instagram @JamaicaGleaner and on Facebook @GleanerJamaica. Send us a message on WhatsApp at 1-876-499-0169 or email us at onlinefeedback@gleanerjm.com or editors@gleanerjm.com.