Fri | May 22, 2026

Juventus part ways with Allegri

Published:Saturday | May 18, 2019 | 12:12 AM

TURIN, Italy (AP):

Massimiliano Allegri will not coach Juventus next season, leading to speculation that the Italian club champions are preparing to rehire former manager Antonio Conte.

Allegri “will not be on the Juventus bench” for 2019-20, the club said in a brief statement yesterday, adding that Allegri and Juventus president Andrea Agnelli will hold a news conference today.

Allegri’s contract was due to expire at the end of next season, and he indicated that he would remain in place when Juventus clinched a record-extending eighth straight Serie A title last month.

Allegri has been in charge of Juventus for the last five seasons. He led the team to two Champions League finals, but Juventus appear frustrated by not being able to win the European trophy – especially after signing Cristiano Ronaldo from Real Madrid before this season.

Juventus were eliminated by Ajax in the quarter-finals a month ago.

Conte led Juventus to the first three titles of the club’s current run then left to coach Italy through the 2016 European Championship. He coached Chelsea to the English Premier League title in 2017 but was fired by the London club in 2018 and has been out of work ever since.

Conte said recently that he wants to coach again next season but without specifying where.

Allegri’s final two matches with Juventus will be against Atalanta tomorrow in Turin and at Sampdoria the following weekend.