Sun | May 24, 2026

Browns’ Watson suspended 11 games, fined US$5 million

Published:Friday | August 19, 2022 | 12:10 AM
Cleveland Browns quarterback Deshaun Watson speaks to the media, Thursday, August 18, 2022, in Berea, Ohio.
Cleveland Browns quarterback Deshaun Watson speaks to the media, Thursday, August 18, 2022, in Berea, Ohio.

BEREA, Ohio (AP):

Cleveland Browns quarterback Deshaun Watson will serve an 11-game unpaid suspension, pay a US$5 million fine, and undergo professional evaluation and treatment as part of a settlement with the NFL following accusations of sexual misconduct by two dozen women.

The league had sought to ban Watson for at least one year for violating its personal conduct policy. He was accused of sexually harassing and coercing the women during massage therapy sessions while he was with the Houston Texans.

Watson signed a US $230 million fully guaranteed contract after being traded to the Browns in March. Because the team structured Watson’s deal so he would make US$1.035 million in his first season, he will lose US$632,500 in salary during the suspension.

As part of the settlement, Watson can return for the Browns’ game in Houston on December 4.

“My whole life I just have to be able to move forward, and that’s the plan,” Watson said shortly after the settlement became public. “I have to be able to move forward with my career, move forward with my family, my personal life and everything.”

SETTLEMENT

The settlement ends months of speculation and headed off a ruling from former New Jersey attorney general Peter C. Harvey, who was appointed by Commissioner Roger Goodell after the league appealed a six-game suspension issued by disciplinary officer Sue L. Robinson.

As part of the settlement between the league and the NFL Players Association, Watson will have to be evaluated by behavioural experts and follow their treatment programme.

Watson apologised last week before the Browns’ preseason opener for the first time since the allegations surfaced. He tried to offer more contrition yesterday while maintaining that he had never been inappropriate with women.

“I’ve always stood on my innocence and always said that I’ve never assaulted anyone or disrespected anyone, and I’m continuing to stand on that,” he said. “But at the same time, I have to continue to push forward with my life and my career.

“I’m going to continue to stand on my innocence and keep pushing forward, and I’ve always stood on not disrespecting or sexually assaulting anyone.”

Along with his US$5 million fine, the league and Browns are donating $1 million each to a fund that will support non-profit organisations across the country to educate young people on “healthy relationships, promote education and prevention of sexual misconduct and assault, support survivors, and related causes.”

Watson can practise until the suspension begins on August 30, but coach Kevin Stefanski said he will not play in any preseason games. He won’t be allowed to return to the team’s facility until November 28.

Attorney Tony Buzbee, who represents all 24 women who sued Watson, was critical of the NFL’s handling of the case and settlement.

“By settling this matter the way he has, Roger Goodell has proven one of two things: Either his recent rhetoric was utter baloney, or his bark is much worse than his bite,” Buzbee said in a statement.