Trump says he needs to deal with Dem leaders to end shutdown
WASHINGTON (AP):
President Donald Trump held out little hope yesterday that another round of talks between top aides and congressional staff would produce meaningful progress toward ending the partial government shutdown, seeming to undercut his team by saying he needed to deal directly with Democratic leaders.
"Ultimately, it's going to be solved by the principals," Trump told reporters at the White House before leaving for staff meetings at Camp David,as the shutdown headed into its third week. A second round of discussions between administration officials and Capitol Hill aides was scheduled for yesterday afternoon.
"I don't expect to have anything happen at that meeting," said Trump about the talks led by Vice President Mike Pence. "But I think we're going to have some very serious talks come Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday."
The president suggested that he, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer could solve the impasse over money for a US-Mexico border wall "in 20 minutes, if they want to. If they don't want to, it's going to go on for a long time."
With Trump insisting on $5.6 billion for the wall and Democrats resolute in saying they won't go along, Trump reaffirmed that he would consider declaring a national emergency in an effort to circumvent Congress and spend money as he saw fit. Such a move would seem certain to draw legal challenges.
ASSERTIONS
Trump also asserted that he could relate to the plight of the hundreds of thousands of federal workers who have not receiving pay cheques, although he acknowledged they will have to "make adjustments" to deal with the shutdown shortfall. A day earlier, the president had tweeted that he did not care that "most of the workers not getting paid are Democrats."
He said he planned to call the heads of American steel companies in hopes of coming up with a new design for the barrier he contends must be built along the southern border. Trump had previously promised a concrete wall, but now says it could be made of steel slats. His administration has already spent millions constructing wall prototypes near the border in San Diego.
The White House team appointed by Trump met with congressional aides on Saturday and reported no breakthrough. After being briefed by Pence, Trump tweeted that the group had not made "much headway.
