Mon | May 18, 2026

US judge rejects Boeing’s plea deal in conspiracy case stemming from fatal plane crashes

Published:Thursday | December 5, 2024 | 2:20 PM
This February 23, 2018 file photo shows cranes from the Port of Seattle in the background, airplanes are parked at a Boeing facility at Boeing Field in Seattle. (AP Photo/Ted S. Warren, file)

DALLAS (AP) — A federal judge on Thursday rejected a deal that would have allowed Boeing to plead guilty to a felony conspiracy charge and pay a fine for misleading US regulators about the 737 Max jetliner before two of the planes crashed, killing 346 people.

The ruling by US District Judge Reed O'Connor in Texas creates uncertainty around the criminal prosecution of the aerospace giant in connection with the development of its bestselling airline plane. 

Boeing and the Justice Department could try to negotiate a new plea agreement.

The Justice Department and Boeing did not comment immediately.

Paul Cassell, an attorney for families of passengers who died in the crashes, called the ruling an important victory for the rights of crime victims.

“No longer can federal prosecutors and high-powered defence attorney craft backroom deals and just expect judges to approve them,” Cassell said.

“Judge O'Connor has recognised that this was a cozy deal between the government and Boeing that failed to focus on the overriding concerns -- holding Boeing accountable for its deadly crime and ensuring that nothing like this happens again in the future.”

Many relatives of the passengers who died in the crashes, which took place off the coast of Indonesia and in Ethiopia less than five months apart, have spent years pushing for a public trial, the prosecution of former company officials and more severe financial punishment for Boeing.

The deal the judge rejected would have let Boeing plead guilty to defrauding regulators who approved pilot training requirements for the 737 Max nearly a decade ago. Prosecutors did not allege Boeing's deception played a role in the crashes.

The Justice Department first charged Boeing in January 2021 with defrauding Federal Aviation Administration regulators who approved pilot training requirements for the 737 Max.

The department simultaneously announced it would drop the charge after three years if the company stayed out of trouble and paid a $2.5 billion settlement — mostly money the company would have paid airline customers anyway due to the FAA grounding the 737 Max fleet for 20 months.

Families of the victims were outraged. Judge O'Connor ruled last year that the Justice Department broke a victims-rights law by not telling relatives that it was negotiating with Boeing, but said he had no power to overturn the deal.

Follow The Gleaner on X, formerly Twitter, and Instagram @JamaicaGleaner and on Facebook @GleanerJamaica. Send us a message on WhatsApp at 1-876-499-0169 or email us at onlinefeedback@gleanerjm.com or editors@gleanerjm.com.