Mon | May 18, 2026

Strike called off

Published:Thursday | July 26, 2012 | 12:00 AM
In this photo provided by LOCOG, the Prince of Wales watches the Olympic Flame on the Torch Relay leg between Barnet and Enfield in London yesterday.

LONDON (AP):

A union yesterday called off a pre-Olympics strike by immigration staff at London's Heathrow Airport, a relief to government officials who sued to try to stop it.

The government's job-creation plans have gone some way towards assuaging the union's concerns over pay and employment, Mark Serwotka of the Public and Commercial Services Union said.

"We're pleased. We've made progress," Serwotka said. "That's why we've made this decision."

The threatened 24-hour walkout had been timed for today, the day before the 2012 Games' opening ceremony.

Britain's Home Office said yesterday that it welcomed the decision.