Wed | May 20, 2026

French forces seize key town

Published:Sunday | January 27, 2013 | 12:00 AM

The French defence ministry has reported that its troops in Mali have taken control of the airport in the northern town and Islamist stronghold of Gao.

The report said Gao's airport and the strategic Wabary bridge were secured, though fighting continued in the town.

Gao, along with Kidal and Timbuktu, were seized by an alliance of Tuareg rebels and Islamists last April.

France has already deployed 2,500 soldiers on the ground in Mali as well as launched air strikes.

Islamists seized a vast area of northern Mali last year and have imposed strict Sharia, or Islamic law, on its inhabitants. France intervened militarily some two weeks ago to stop them advancing further south.

7,000 REFUGEES

The United Nations (UN) refugee agency says more than 7,000 civilians have fled to neighbouring countries to escape the fighting.

In a statement, France's Defence Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian said: "French forces have gained control of the airport and bridge in Gao, in the north-east of Mali."

He added that 3,700 French troops were engaged in the operation with 2,500 of them on Malian soil.

Gao was one of the first rebel-held areas to be targeted by air strikes after France decided to intervene in its former colony, a decision which took many by surprise.

A UN-backed international force had not been expected in the west African state until the autumn.