Wed | May 20, 2026

Korea tensions delay missile test, Hill testimony

Published:Monday | April 8, 2013 | 12:00 AM
South Korean Army soldiers aim their machine guns, along with US Air Force's Airman First Class, Lee Simpson from Sportanburg, South Carolina, top of a humvee, during a joint military drill between South Korea and the United States to protect US air base near the Osan US Air Base in Pyeongtaek, south of Seoul, South Korea, recently.
South Korean protesters shout slogans near a huge banner with a picture of North Korean leader Kim Jong Un during a rally denouncing North Korea's threat and supporting South Korea's new President Park Geun-hye near the presidential Blue House in Seoul, South Korea, Monday, March 11. South Korea and the United States began annual military drills Monday despite North Korean threats to respond by voiding the armistice that ended the Korean War and launching a nuclear attack on the US. A picture showing on that banner (center left) is South Korea's new President Park Geun-hye. - AP
1
2

BAGRAM (AP):

Heightened tensions with North Korea have led the United States (US) to postpone congressional testimony by the top US military commander in South Korea and delay an intercontinental ballistic missile test from a West Coast base.

North Korea, after weeks of war threats and other efforts to punish South Korea and the US for joint military drills, has told other nations that it will be unable to guarantee diplomats' safety in the North's capital beginning Wednesday.

US General James Thurman, the commander of the 28,000 American troops in South Korea, will stay in Seoul as "a prudent measure" rather than travel to Washington to appear this coming week before congressional committees, Army Colonel Amy Hannah said in an email Sunday to The Associated Press.

Thurman has asked the Senate Armed Services Committee, the House Armed Services Committee, and the House Appropriations subcommittee on defence to excuse his absence until he can testify at a later date.

The top US military officer, Gen Martin Dempsey, who just wrapped up a visit to Afghanistan, said he had consulted with Thurman about the rising tensions on the Korean peninsula.

Best to stay in Seoul

Dempsey said both Thurman and South Korea's Joint Chiefs of Staff chairman, General Jung Seung-jo, decided it would be best for them to remain in Seoul rather than come to Washington. The Korean general had planned to meet with Dempsey, the US Joint Chiefs of Staff chairman, in mid-April for regular talks.

North Korea's military said this past week that it was authorised to attack the US using "smaller, lighter and diversified" nuclear weapons. North Korea also conducted a nuclear test in February and in December launched a long-range rocket that could potentially hit the continental US.

The US has moved two of the Navy's missile-defence ships closer to the Korean peninsula, and a land-based system is being deployed to the Pacific territory of Guam later this month. The Pentagon last month announced longer-term plans to strengthen its US-based missile defences.

The defence official, who was not authorised to speak publicly about the Minuteman 3 test delay and requested anonymity, said US policy continues to support the building and testing of its nuclear deterrent capabilities. The official said the launch was not put off because of any technical problems.




Full Caption: South Korean protesters shout slogans near a huge banner with a picture of North Korean leader Kim Jong Un during a rally denouncing North Korea's threat and supporting South Korea's new President Park Geun-hye near the presidential Blue House in Seoul, South Korea, Monday, March 11. South Korea and the United States began annual military drills Monday despite North Korean threats to respond by voiding the armistice that ended the Korean War and launching a nuclear attack on the US. A picture showing on that banner (center left) is South Korea's new President Park Geun-hye. - AP