Thu | May 21, 2026

Sportscaster pleads guilty to 14 indecent assaults

Published:Friday | May 3, 2013 | 12:00 AM
In this Thursday, February 7, 2013 file photo, former BBC broadcaster presenter Stuart Hall makes a statement to the media after appearing in court in Preston, England. Hall has pleaded guilty to multiple assaults on young girls. Prosecutors said Thursday May 2, 2013 that the 83-year-old sports broadcaster has pleaded guilty to 14 indecent assaults. - FILE

LONDON (AP):

Veteran BBC sportscaster Stuart Hall pleaded guilty to 14 indecent assaults on underage girls, including one who was just nine years old, prompting the broadcaster yesterday to drop him for his "sickening" behaviour.

The 83-year-old, who had been arrested in January for questioning about alleged crimes committed between 1967 and 1986, denied any wrongdoing.

Hall admitted his guilt in court in mid-April, but the information could not be made public for legal reasons until yesterday, when reporting restrictions on the case were lifted.

The guilty plea prompted BBC to say it was "appalled" by his actions and to say he would "no longer be contracted" as a broadcaster.

BBC human resources director Lucy Adams told BBC Radio that the allegations against Hall were "sickening" and had shaken the broadcaster to its core.

"These historical allegations are clearly very, very damaging and are very saddening, primarily for the victims," she said.

She was referring not only to Hall's case, but to earlier revelations that the late BBC presenter Jimmy Savile was a serial child sex abuser whose crimes went unpunished during his lifetime.

Hall's lawyer Crispin Aylett said Hall is "sorry for what he has done" and wishes to apologise to his victims.