Fri | May 22, 2026

Global travel warning remains in effect

Published:Sunday | August 4, 2013 | 12:00 AM

WASHINGTON (AP):At least 21 United States embassies and consulates across the Muslim world will remain closed today after the State Department issued an extraordinary global travel warning to Americans Friday about the threat of an al-Qaida attack.

The alert was the first of its kind since an announcement preceding the tenth anniversary of the 9/11 terrorist attacks.

This came with the scars still fresh from last year's deadly September 11 attack on a US diplomatic post in Benghazi, Libya, and with the Obama administration and Congress determined to prevent any similar breach of an American Embassy or consulate.

"There is a significant threat stream and we're reacting to it," said General Martin Dempsey, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.

He told ABC News in an interview to be aired today that the threat was "more specific" than previous ones and the "intent is to attack Western, not just US interests."

The State Department warning urged American travellers to take extra precautions overseas, citing potential dangers involved with public transportation systems and other prime sites for tourists.

It suggested travellers sign up for State Department alerts and register with US consulates in the countries they visit.

The statement said that al-Qaida or its allies might target either US government or private American interests. The alert expires on August 31.