Boston Marathon bombing suspect charged
BOSTON (AP):
Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev was charged by federal prosecutors in his hospital room today with using a weapon of mass destruction to kill – a crime that carries a possible death sentence.
Officials have said Tsarnaev, 19, and his older brother set off the two pressure-cooker bombs at last week's race that sprayed shrapnel into the crowds, killing three people and wounding more than 180.
His brother, Tamerlan, 26, died Friday after a fierce gun-battle with police.
Tsarnaev was listed in serious but stable condition at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, unable to speak because of a gunshot wound to the throat.
The FBI did not make it clear whether authorities believe he used his cellphone to detonate one or both of the bombs or whether he was talking to someone.
The court papers also said that during the long night of crime Thursday and Friday that led to the older brother's death and the younger one's capture, one of them told a carjacking victim: "Did you hear about the Boston explosion? I did that."
Tsarnaev was charged with using and conspiring to use a weapon of mass destruction against persons and property, resulting in death.
He is also likely to face state charges in connection with the shooting death of a university police officer.
FOR MORE STORIES WATCH:
Like our new Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/gleanerjamaica
Follow us on Twitter http://twitter.com/JamaicaGleaner
onlinefeedback@gleanerjm.com
