Tue | May 19, 2026

Ex-warlord to be deported from US

Published:Tuesday | February 7, 2012 | 2:50 PM

Former Liberian rebel leader George Boley is to be deported from the US over his role in the West African country's civil war in the 1990s.



A US judge said evidence that the ex-Liberian Peace Council leader had been involved in killings and recruited children was grounds for his removal.



US immigration officials said it is the first time the use of child soldiers has been stated as grounds for removal from the US.



Boley, who has been in custody for two years, denies the accusations.



His son, George Boley Junior, said the judge ignored important evidence presented on his father's behalf, as none of the specific allegations brought against him were corroborated by credible evidence.



Boley has 30 days to appeal the deportation ruling.



Around a quarter of a million people died during Liberia's 1989 to 2003 conflict.