St Catherine MP calls for free access to Edward Seaga Highway after tropical storm disruptions
Member of Parliament Natalie Neita Garvey has called for temporary free access to the Edward Seaga Highway to offer immediate relief to citizens affected by recent road closures caused by Tropical Storm Rafael.
The National Works Agency said a massive boulder has blocked a section of the Bog Walk Gorge in St Catherine, a vital thoroughfare that links the parish capital Spanish Town with Ewarton. The roadway from Barton to Ginger Ridge, particularly at Connors, is also blocked due to landslides at multiple locations, as well as fallen trees and rocks.
Works Minister Robert Morgan told The Gleaner on Saturday afternoon that the roadways "should be" re-opened tonight.
In a statement earlier on Saturday, Neita Garvey, who is the representative for St Catherine North Central, said commuters, including workers and students, who depend on the gorge, are facing soaring fare hikes, with costs rising from $200 to $500 per trip.
She said blocked roads, compounded by worsening conditions, are causing significant challenges for daily activities.
“The best solution to alleviate the financial strain on our people and keep essential travel accessible is to open the toll road,” said Neita Garvey, who has written to Prime Minister Andrew Holness.
“I am particularly concerned about the commuting public, especially our workers and students. These extreme fare increases are not only reducing productivity but also preventing students from reaching school as they prepare for their end-of-term exams,” added Neita Garvey, who is also the Opposition People's National Party spokesperson on local government.
Follow The Gleaner on X and Instagram @JamaicaGleaner and on Facebook @GleanerJamaica. Send us a message on WhatsApp at 1-876-499-0169 or email us at onlinefeedback@gleanerjm.com or editors@gleanerjm.com

