Scores lose jobs in redundancy exercise at Jamalco
More than 50 workers at bauxite-alumina producer Jamalco were sent home last week as part of a redundancy exercise.
The Gleaner has been informed that 56 employees, including hourly and monthly paid workers as well as personnel at the managerial level, lost their jobs on December 30 and 31.
Christopher Buckmaster, director of human resources, security and corporate services, said the company completed the exercise as part of its reorganisation efforts to improve efficiency and ensure long-term sustainability.
“The decision to undertake this redundancy exercise was made after careful consideration and a thorough review of our operations with the goal of better positioning Jamalco for future success,” he said on Monday in an emailed response to questions posed by The Gleaner.
He confirmed that the exercise has resulted in the elimination of various positions across all levels of the organisation.
DIFFICULT NEWS
According to Buckmaster, the company carefully evaluated the situation and “shared this difficult news with care for our affected employees and in compliance with the applicable collective labour agreement and Jamaican regulations”.
He said while this decision was difficult, it was necessary to ensure the future success of the company and its ability to continue delivering value to its customers.
Jamalco is jointly owned by Century Aluminum, the managing partner with 55 per cent interest, and the Jamaican Government, which has 45 per cent.
Century acquired the majority shares in Jamalco in April 2023, replacing Noble Group of Hong Kong as joint-venture partner with the Government of Jamaica.
A global producer of bauxite, alumina and primary aluminium, Century Aluminum Company operates three aluminium smelters in the United States at Hawesville, Kentucky; Robards, Kentucky; and Mt Holly, South Carolina; one smelter in Grundartangi, Iceland; and the Jamalco refinery in Halse Hall, Clarendon, which produces smelter-grade alumina for global markets.
In announcing its third quarter 2024 results last year, Century President and CEO Jesse Gary said: “Strong global demand, continued supply-side challenges and supportive macroeconomic policy in China and the West led to rising aluminium and alumina prices in the third quarter.”
However, he noted: “With bauxite and alumina supply chains facing a number of challenges around the world, we are thrilled to have our own strategic supply of bauxite and alumina from our Jamalco operations following the acquisition.”
Last year Hurricane Beryl caused damage to Jamalco’s Rocky Point port, which led to the company diverting its alumina exports to an alternative port to ensure continuous alumina shipments to its global customers.

