MOE to repair schools damaged by Beryl, $210M being disbursed for urgent works
The Ministry of Education says it is to embark on repairs to schools damaged by Hurricane Beryl.
The Ministry says post-disaster assessments, as at July 11, found that 213 schools suffered damage due to the hurricane.
It previously indicated that a preliminary assessment following the July 3 hurricane showed that at least 100 schools suffered damage estimated at over $797 million.
In an update on Monday, it did not indicate the new repair bill.
The education ministry says affected schools have been placed into priority levels to streamline and accelerate the repair process.
Some 64 school have been categorised as Priority One due to severe damage and will need immediate attention to effect repairs in time for school reopening.
The education ministry says these schools will be assigned to contractors under an emergency contract procurement strategy.
The Ministry's Technical Services Unit and the National Education Trust will oversee and monitor the repair works.
In Priority Two, 58 schools are moderately damaged - these institutions require significant repairs, however, schools can operate while repairs are done. Works will commence once the priority one schools contract processes are addressed.
And in Priority Three, 91 schools have minor damages – these institutions can operate while repairs are done.
The education ministry says major, minor and clean up works are scheduled for the week of July 19, using the emergency procurement process as necessary.
Further, the Permanent Secretary, Dr Kasan Troupe, has approved the processing of $210,000,000 for disbursement across its seven regions ($30,000,000 per region) by July 17 to address urgent repair needs.
The Ministry says regions are advised to reallocate funds as per the post disaster assessment report to ensure that schools can operate smoothly when the school year begins in September 2024.
It notes that schools have already received their tranche of the Regular Grants and Maintenance Grants which were disbursed in June 2024.
It says administrators are encouraged to use these funds with the guidance of the technical team in the regional offices for urgent repairs, with proper documentation for reimbursement.
"The safety and well-being of our students and staff are our top priorities. We are working diligently to ensure that all necessary repairs are completed promptly so that schools can reopen safely in September. The technical team's presence on the ground and their ongoing support have been invaluable during this time of recovery,” said Education Minister Fayval Williams.
Meanwhile, the education ministry is appealing for efforts to help schools affected by Hurricane Beryl to be properly coordinated.
Persons are asked to make contact with the Ministry directly or through the schools.
The Ministry is urging schools to follow the directives provided and coordinate efforts with their respective regional offices to expedite the repair process and ensure proper use of funds.
Follow The Gleaner on X, formerly Twitter, and Instagram @JamaicaGleaner and on Facebook @GleanerJamaica. Send us a message on WhatsApp at 1-876-499-0169 or email us at onlinefeedback@gleanerjm.com or editors@gleanerjm.com.

