Wed | Feb 18, 2026
ST KITTS AND NEVIS

Gov’t pleased with increase in cruise ship arrivals

Published:Tuesday | May 6, 2025 | 10:10 AM
Marsha Henderson
Marsha Henderson

BASSETERRE, CMC

The St Kitts and Nevis government has described as a “healthy increase” the number of cruise ship visitors to the twin island Federation during the 2024-2025 peak season as compared with the previous season.

Tourism Minister Marsha Henderson said that the eight-per-cent increase resulted in 748,056 cruise passengers visiting during the period October 2024 – April 2025 as compared to 690,244 last year.

“This growth is the result of the collective efforts among the Ministry of Tourism, the sister agencies, and the industry partners, all focused on enhancing the guest experience, improving our port facilities, and ensuring visitor satisfaction and safety,” Henderson said, noting “however, we recognise the true success in tourism is not only measured in numbers, but in the tangible impact on the lives of our citizens”.

She said one of the key initiatives introduced by the ministry to help locals benefit from the tourist sector is the Tour Development Programme, launched in August 2024. The government said the programme empowers small business-owners to create new and distinctive tour experiences.

“I am proud to share that 15 companies are currently participating in the programme and we remain committed to their success,” Henderson said, adding that the ministry had successfully resolved the longstanding insurance challenge faced by small tour operators.

She said with passenger coverage now in place, these operators can market their tour packages directly through cruise lines, alongside larger competitors.

Henderson said executives from the Royal Caribbean Group will visit the country later this month to network with officials while increasing their knowledge of the unique tourism product. This follows a successful engagement by Carnival Corporation representatives who visited in October 2024.