Thu | May 21, 2026

OCG announces another major probe

Published:Saturday | January 8, 2011 | 12:00 AM

INFORMATION PROVIDED by the Government late yesterday about its negotiations with the Sandals hotel chain for the sale of the Sandals Whitehouse Hotel has triggered a major investigation by the office of the Contractor General (OCG).

The information, which was first requested last December, was delivered to the OCG's office hours after the contractor general complained publicly that the Government had twice missed the deadline to honour the request, and dispatched a letter copied to Prime Minister Bruce Golding warning of legal action.

The OCG said a "cursory review" of the Government's response had revealed that critical elements of its request had not been satisfied and that the negotiations were "extremely far advanced".

"The OCG is of the opinion that the issues which have so far been disclosed by the documentation have raised significant questions of national import such that the OCG is left with no alternative but to launch a formal special investigation," the OCG said in its statement.

Matter of urgency

At the same time, the Greg Christie-led oversight body said it would, as a matter of urgency, submit an interim report to Parliament on the matter.

The OCG was alerted to the negotiations between the Government and Sandals representatives by a report in the local media.

In the release issued before the Government's response, the OCG said it would not speculate on the reasons for the delay, but made it clear that it remained "very concerned and disturbed" that the negotiations were taking place without proper disclosures.

"This is despite the fact that a formal request was made to the Government from as early as January 14 to furnish to the OCG a comprehensive list of all assets that are slated for divestment for the financial year 2010-2011," the release said.