Sat | May 23, 2026

Buju's lawyer vows to 'expose' informant

Published:Tuesday | February 15, 2011 | 12:00 AM
Reggae singer Buju Banton (left) and his attorney, David Oscar Markus, leave the United States Middle District Court, Florida Division, in Tampa, after the first day of his retrial yesterday. Photograph by Daraine Luton

Daraine Luton, Senior Staff Reporter

TAMPA, Florida:

The Buju Banton camp is oozing with confidence after Day 1 of his retrial now under way at the United States Middle District Court, Florida Division, in Tampa.

Buju's attorney, David Oscar Markus, said after yesterday's adjournment of the trial that he was not taken off guard by any statements or evidence proffered on the opening day.

However, prosecutor Jim Preston has vowed to prove the government's case beyond all reasonable doubt. He said the evidence will show that Buju, whose real name is Mark Myrie, willingly participated in acts to acquire, possess, and distribute. He said the 37-year-old reggae superstar changed his role from financier to broker.

The prosecutor has asked the jury for "careful attention and application of your common sense", and said when the trial ends in a few days, he would be asking them for a guilty verdict.

Preston has so far called Drug Enforcement Administration official Dan McCaffrey and informant Alexander Johnson to help prove his case.

Unaware of link

McCaffrey gave evidence that he was unaware of a link between Buju and James Mack, who has pleaded guilty to conspiracy charges, or Ike and Tyke, for whom the cocaine was being purchased.

Meanwhile, Markus told journalists that all of today would be used to examine Johnson and he would be aiming to take him down.

"He makes his living setting people up and we hope to expose him tomorrow," Markus said of the short, stocky man with a husky voice who has so far collected more than US$50,000 for cooperating with law-enforcement officials on the Buju case.

Buju has been accused of conspiring with two associates to buy a shipment of cocaine from an undercover officer. The reggae singer, who is facing retrial after a hung jury last year, has claimed he was entrapped by a confidential informant.

Buju is facing charges of conspiracy to possess with intent to distribute cocaine, and possession of a firearm during the course of a drug-trafficking crime, attempting to possess with intent to distribute cocaine, and using a communication facility in the commission of an act constituting a felony.

The singer has denied the charges against him. His lawyer said the entertainer was the victim of a set-up and that he did not willingly participate in the crimes for which he has been accused.

"This case is about a con artist setting up a recording artiste," Marcus told the court.

In a brief statement to the media, Buju expressed gratitude for the support he received en route to winning the Reggae Grammy on Sunday for his album Before The Dawn. He also said once the jury paid attention to the facts, he would be a free man.

The trial was adjourned nearly one hour early yesterday after a female juror fell ill.

Buju is to take the stand in his own defence and Markus declared that "the truth is on his side".

daraine.luton@gleanerjm.com