NROCC says revised MoBay perimeter project minimises impact on Montego West Village
The National Road Operating and Constructing Company Limited (NROCC) has moved to address concerns raised about homeowners in Montego West Village in St James being displaced by the Montego Bay Perimeter Road Project.
Opposition Spokesperson on Housing Professor Floyd Morris today called for Prime Minister Dr Andrew Holness to intervene in the issue, arguing that several homeowners who are likely to lose their homes or see significant encroachment on their properties due to the project.
In a statement on Thursday, NROCC explained that while the initial alignment of the project did impact approximately 18 structures in the community, its engineering team undertook a comprehensive design review aimed at minimising disruption to residents.
Following this realignment, only three houses and portions of 15 lots of land are now affected, the company stated.
“Of the three impacted homes, one owner has already accepted NROCC’s acquisition offer. Valuation assessments are currently under way for the remaining two, to ensure fair and timely compensation,” the company said.
“In addition, NROCC will construct privacy walls to preserve the privacy of nearby residences and help mitigate noise from passing vehicles,” it added.
NROCC said it has maintained ongoing communication with residents throughout the process, citing that a stakeholder meeting was held last week on Thursday May 1, with affected homeowners to present the revised alignment and explain the significantly reduced impact on the community.
The company said it remains fully committed to executing the project in accordance with the Land Acquisition Act and with a spirit of fairness, transparency, and respect for all stakeholders.
“We encourage residents and members of the public to contact NROCC directly for accurate and up-to-date information. We also thank the people of St James for their patience and continued support as we work to address the long-standing traffic congestion challenges in Montego Bay."
Follow The Gleaner on X, formerly Twitter, and Instagram @JamaicaGleaner and on Facebook @GleanerJamaica. Send us a message on WhatsApp at 1-876-499-0169 or email us at onlinefeedback@gleanerjm.com or editors@gleanerjm.com.

