Nadal advances to Rome semis - Federer, Osaka withdraw due to injuries
ROME (AP):
Rafael Nadal put away Fernando Verdasco 6-4, 6-0 at the Italian Open yesterday and ought to be a little nervous.
He’s conceded only six games in six sets at the Foro Italico, but he’s reached the semi-finals.
Nadal has fallen in the semi-finals of his last three tournaments – all on his favoured clay. And next up is Stefanos Tsitsipas, whom Nadal lost to in Madrid last week.
“I know what happened last week, and I [am] going to try to do it better tomorrow (today),” Nadal said. “I have to hold the level or increase a little bit more. If that happens, I [am] going to have my chances. The good thing is, during the last month, my feeling is every week was better than the previous one.”
Tsitsipas, 20, is up to No. 7 in the rankings.
“Every year, we make [a] prediction with the team, which player is going to be at the top 10 at the end of the season,” Nadal said. “I put Tsitsipas there. ... He started even better than what I [expected]. He deserves to be where he is now.”
Meanwhile, Roger Federer and top-ranked Naomi Osaka withdrew before their quarter-finals because of injuries.
Federer reported a right-leg injury ahead of his match against Tsitsipas, while Osaka said her right hand was hurting before she was to play Kiki Bertens.
Also reaching the last four was Diego Schwartzman, who beat Kei Nishikori for the first time in four tries, 6-4, 6-2, to reach his first Masters Series semi-final.
The 24th-ranked Schwartzman will face top-ranked Novak Djokovic or fellow Argentine Juan Martin del Potro.
On the women’s side, Karolina Pliskova rallied past former No. 1 Victoria Azarenka 6-7 (5), 6-2, 6-2 and will face one of two qualifiers, Kristina Mladenovic or Maria Sakkari, for a spot in the final.
Bertens, who won the Madrid Open last week, will face Marketa Vondrousova or Johanna Konta.
While Osaka won both of her matches on Thursday in straight sets, the 37-year-old Federer had to labour for more than two and a half hours to overcome Borna Coric in his second time on court.
Federer said after beating Coric that he slid on a wet line and his leg “was hurting a little bit”.
“I am disappointed that I will not be able to compete today. I am not 100 per cent physically, and, after consultation with my team, it was determined that I not play,” Federer said. “Rome has always been one of my favourite cities to visit, and I hope to be back next year,” he said.
Later, Federer added on Instagram: “The fan reaction and crowd energy during my matches yesterday remind [me] exactly why I am still competing on the ATP Tour.”
It’s only the fourth time in Federer’s career he has had a walkover loss, the ATP Tour said, adding that the 20-time Grand Slam champion has never retired in 1,465 matches.
Osaka couldn’t immediately say how serious her injury was or if it will affect her status for Roland Garros, which starts in nine days. She was yet to see a doctor, but when she held her hand up for reporters, it was clearly swollen.
“I woke up this morning and couldn’t really move my thumb,” Osaka said. “I tried to practise and grip my racket, but I couldn’t, and I kept feeling this pain when I tried to move my hand in different directions.”
Osaka’s win on Thursday guaranteed that she will remain No. 1 going into the French Open.

