Wed | May 20, 2026

Bonner, Bravo still on selection radar: Haynes

Published:Friday | February 17, 2023 | 1:25 AM
Nkrumah Bonner.
Nkrumah Bonner.

ST JOHN’S, Antigua (CMC):

Batsman Nkrumah Bonner has been given the assurance he has not been discarded, despite being dropped for the Test tour of South Africa, while veteran left-hander Darren Bravo has been told he is still in contention, even though he, too, has been ignored.

The 34-year-old Bonner has struggled for form in recent months, averaging 10 from his last five Tests, while Bravo, also 34 and who has not featured in the longest format in just over two years, scored a hundred in each innings of the last round of matches in the Regional First Class Championship.

Speaking to the media yesterday, chief selector Desmond Haynes said both players remained on the selection radar.

“Obviously, Bonner struggled a little bit in the last couple of Test matches that he has played, and we believe we would like to see Bonner come back and play some more first-class games here in the Caribbean and then get ready for India who are coming in June,” Haynes said.

“When someone is left out of the side, the first impression that comes to one’s mind is that you’re done with somebody.

“But I had a conversation – not only myself but [fellow selector] Roland (Butcher) – we had a conversation with Bonner and we explained to him the reason why he’s not been selected to go to South Africa.”

Bonner was one of the Caribbean side’s leading batsmen in 2021, hitting his maiden Test hundred along with three fifties, but tailed off last year despite a hundred against England.

Bravo, meanwhile, has also failed to recapture his best form ever since returning to international cricket following a controversial 30-month break, and was dropped in 2020 after averaging 13 from seven Tests.

However, he struck hundreds against Leeward Islands Hurricanes last week at the Vivian Richards Cricket Stadium, and currently averages 87 for Trinidad and Tobago Red Force following the first two rounds of the first-class championship.

“I called Bravo to congratulate him on the two hundreds that he scored,” Haynes said.

“We in the Caribbean, we don’t have the luxury of talking about age not being on someone’s side. If someone is doing very well in our competitions, I think his name must come up for selection.

“I think that Bravo has proven that he can play cricket at the highest level and it’s just a matter of if we can get the guys if they’re committed and they really want to play. But Bravo is a class act.

“He has done well at Test level. He had a period where he just lost his form and so forth, but we know that Bravo is good enough to make runs at this level, and we will continue to monitor Bravo’s progress as we go along in this four-day competition.”

Instead of Bravo or Bonner, selectors opted for the uncapped 24-year-old Dominican Alick Athanze, one of the leading batsmen in the opening two rounds of the regional championship.