Sting still in trouble
Mel Cooke, Gleaner Writer
Before Sting 2011, which took place on Monday night, The Gleaner published a story in which the organisers, Supreme Promotions, said they would be in dire financial straits if at least 15,000 paying patrons did not turn up at Jamworld, Portmore, St Catherine.
In the aftermath of the show, Supreme head Isaiah Laing has estimated an audience of more than 12,000, but well short of the 15,000 mark. Additionally, he pointed out that ticket requests were part of the packages negotiated by some artistes, to allow their fans and entourages to attend the concert.
This is with a total budget of close to $30 million, with $12 million going to artiste fees. Laing said cash sponsorship covered 15-20 per cent of the total budget.
So, after a concert at which no violent incidents were reported, Laing told The Gleaner "We gained in some areas, but we lost in some."
He singled out the lack of sponsorship as a major drawback, even as he credited the white overproof brand Rum Fire, the RJR Group, Boom Energy Drink and The Wyndham Kingston hotel for their contribution. "I have to give thanks to Rum Fire. They gave a lot," Laing said.
In terms of the performances, with the clashes capping off Sting, Laing said, "This is what I was clamouring for, the clashes to be held and incident-free. I wanted to prove it to people that clashes are not normally violent. It did not even need any great refereeing. People have come of age and realised it is not violent.
"Since 2008, this is the hottest we have had," Laing said.
Ironically, last year, telecommunications firm LIME was a major sponsor of a clash-free Sting, which attracted a very small audience. "The sponsors like clashes. They know it draws a crowd. They like to see huge crowds at the events. Maybe that is why LIME did not come back," he said.
Without a major sponsor next year, Laing said, Sting is "in major, major trouble. I know we can't afford to go into it next year. Without some major, major sponsorship, the show is not going to happen".
critical blow to dancehall
He positions this possibility as a critical blow to dancehall. "This is the pinnacle of dancehall and if this is not happening then dancehall is going to die," Laing claimed. A lot of people do not understand that is it keep dancehall going for the last 28 years," Laing claimed, noting that "Every young artiste want to work on it."
At Sting, Specialist beat Hurricane, Matterhorn dispatched Twin of Twins, Iyara took care of Deva Brat and KipRich destroyed Merciless, while Beenie Man did not answer Bounty Killer's challenge. Laing said that for there to be another clash with KipRich, who whipped the Monster Empire soundly before, "We need somebody to give him a good run for his money." Plus, Laing said, "Popcaan said he is ready for anything next year, but we have to find the suitable person." And, he said, "I know Ryno ready for anything."
A relatively early performance by Mavado had been advertised, but the 'Gully Gad' did not go on stage although, Laing said, he was at Jamworld. He said that Mavado reached the Sting venue past the time when he was slated to perform and the required band change to his outfit could not be then accommodated. KipRich had to perform and then leave for Montego Bay, St James, to catch an 11 a.m. flight and, Laing said, after the clashes Mavado said he did not want to perform as he felt the crowd would not accept him.
"That was my only real let-down for the night," he said.
After Diamond Splash in Negril last Friday, when Beenie Man reputedly came out on the losing end in a clash with Bounty Killer, Laing said "Beenie said he was going to avenge what happened to him in the country."
Laing said Beenie Man was given 100 passes for himself and his entourage. "He said he did not want money. He was coming to kill Bounty Killer for free," Laing said. However, he did not answer the call on the night.


