Wed | May 20, 2026

Broadcaster fined US$4,000

Published:Thursday | March 28, 2013 | 12:00 AM

HAMILTON (CMC) :

Bermuda's largest broadcaster has been fined US$4,000 for naming a defendant in a sexual assault case.

Chief executive officer Rick Richardson, appearing on behalf of Bermuda Broadcasting Company, pleaded guilty in Magistrates' Court to the January 14 offence.

Attorney Richard Horseman told the court that the offending detail had been reported on air by mistake.

According to Crown counsel Garrett Byrne, the ZBM nightly TV news named the man and listed charges which included sexual assault.

Naming the defendant in such cases is an offence liable to a $5,000 fine, unless the person charged has pleaded guilty or has been convicted.

Apologising to the defendant, Horseman said there had been various charges listed.

"The one with the sexual aspect slipped in by accident. It was brought to the company's attention immediately after the 7 p.m. broadcast and it was immediately pulled," he added.