Dr Horace Chang, the security minister and deputy PM, resumes official duties
Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of National Security and Peace, Dr Horace Chang, resumed official duties on Monday, delivering remarks at the Jamaica Constabulary Force’s monthly Operations Review Meeting.
In a statement, Chang expressed “heartfelt appreciation for the continued support of the JCF and the Jamaican public during [his] time away from duties” and reaffirmed his commitment to ensuring that Jamaica’s crime and violence rates continue their downward trend.
"I am officially back in the ministry but will not be on the road until March. My rehabilitation will be considered complete on February 27, 2026. I will be using the next few weeks to get fully up-to-date on relevant matters", Chang said.
Chang, 73, had been temporarily away from the ministry following an elective procedure in late 2025.
During his absence, Prime Minister Dr Andrew Holness held temporary oversight of the ministry.
At the time, the Office of the Prime Minister said Chang “is recuperating well”.
In January, the ministry also refuted reports that Chang was hospitalised, calling such rumours “baseless and fictitious.”
The ministry emphasised that he had been recovering well since being discharged and urged the public to guard against misinformation intended to mislead and distract.
In his statement Monday, Chang commended the security forces for the "positive beginning to the new year".
"They returned excellent results last year and this year is off to a good start. There is much work to be done but the results are encouraging. No doubt we will continue the work towards making Jamaica a more peaceful and secure society," he said.
Follow The Gleaner on X, formerly Twitter, and Instagram @JamaicaGleaner and on Facebook @GleanerJamaica. Send us a message on WhatsApp at 1-876-499-0169 or email us at onlinefeedback@gleanerjm.com or editors@gleanerjm.com.

