Tue | May 19, 2026

'The hands-off approach can't work anymore'

Published:Monday | January 3, 2011 | 12:00 AM
Patterson

Gareth Davis, Gleaner Writer

PORT ANTONIO, Portland:

MAYOR OF Port Antonio Floyd Patterson says the hands-off approach taken by some residents in the parish has contributed to the demise of several areas, including sports, tourism, employment and agriculture.

Patterson said many residents stood idly by and complained bitterly that "nutten nah gwaan" instead of trying to help themselves.

He recommended that they rid themselves of that attitude in 2011 and get involved in community-related activities.

Patterson said the Portland Parish Council was willing to provide information to those willing to become members of the business community, and to assist in any development venture.

Helping the haitians

Meanwhile, 61 Haitians landed in Portland last year, as they sought refuge in Jamaica after a 7.0-magnitude earth-quake ravaged their country. Among those making the trip was a pregnant woman, her four children and husband. They were housed at the Port Antonio Seventh-day Adventist Church for five days before they were repatriated.

Long-standing member of parliament for East Portland, Dr Donald Rhodd, announced in August that he was retiring from representational politics. Rhodd is to be replaced by Dr Linvale Bloomfield.

Meanwhile, Jamaica Labour Party caretaker, Dennis Wright, also resigned in September, making way for businessman Patrick Lee.

In September, torrential rains caused by the outer bands of Tropical Storm Nicole also ravaged several roadways in the Rio Grande Valley, forcing the evacuation of more than 40 people. Heavy rains also wreaked havoc in December, resulting in the collapse of a section of a house in Windsor Castle. Seven residents were also evacuated after their homes were inundated.

The year ended on a bitter note, however, with a motor vehicle accident at Bryan's Bay on Boxing Day, resulting in the loss of one life, while four others were hospitalised in critical condition. Two of the persons involved in the accident were later airlifted to the Kingston Public Hospital.