Cabinet Minister Vaz 'accepts' Auditor General’s finding he breached law in Starlink purchases
Telecommunications Minister Daryl Vaz says he accepts the auditor general’s finding that he breached the law in the acquisition of 200 Starlink devices for the Hurricane Melissa response. But he insists he would act in a similar manner in a national emergency.
“I accept fully what was said by the AG (auditor general) in relation to me getting involved in the procurement,” Vaz told journalists at a post-Cabinet news conference on Wednesday. “However, what I’m saying is that in a national emergency, I did what I needed to do as minister of telecommunications and minister and co-chair of the advisory committee for relief and recovery for Hurricane Melissa.”
Vaz had initially rejected the findings, describing them on social media as “uninformed and grossly inaccurate” and declaring that he made “no apologies” for intervening.
In a compliance audit report tabled in Parliament last week, Auditor General Pamela Monroe Ellis concluded that Vaz "breached" Section 20 of the Public Procurement Act, 2015, when he directed the Office of Disaster Preparedness and Emergency Management (ODPEM) to purchase 200 Starlink communication devices following Hurricane Melissa.
The report noted that under the law, only the head of the procuring entity — in this case ODPEM’s director general — is legally empowered to initiate procurement. It stated that there is “no provision in law” allowing a minister to approve or initiate commitments, select suppliers or direct payments.
The contract was awarded to Vimal Limited, which trades as Jewellery Collection Electronics, according to government records.
However, at Wednesday's briefing, he struck a more measured tone.
“I wish to make it abundantly clear my respect for the auditor general’s department and the auditor general and the work it is mandated to do,” he said. “I do not wish to become in a controversial position with any agency of government.”
Pressed by a journalist on whether he was now accepting that he breached procurement guidelines after previously rejecting the report, Vaz said his position had not shifted.
“My press release stated my position. What I am commenting on now is the commentary that has taken place subsequent to that,” he said. “I’m justifying my position while basically paying respect to the AG’s department.”
He maintained that the circumstances justified his intervention and further that he got an opinion from the Attorney General's Chambers that “you can go to direct processing” .
“This is a national disaster. Extreme times require practical and prudent actions,” Vaz said, noting that Hurricane Melissa had caused widespread destruction and severely disrupted communications infrastructure.
The October 28, 2025 Category 5 hurricane killed at least 45 people and caused more than US$8.8 billion in damage.
Vaz argued that ODPEM’s Director General Commander Alvin Gayle had been newly appointed and was facing an “overwhelming situation” as the country grappled with search-and-rescue operations, evacuations, and the distribution of food and medical supplies.
“This matter was time-sensitive and of an urgent nature,” he said, adding that disrupted connectivity was “severely hampering the relief efforts.”
He said his dual role as minister with responsibility for telecommunications and co-chair of the Cabinet subcommittee on relief and recovery enabled him to access scarce supplies, negotiate pricing amid reports of price gouging, and deploy devices quickly.
“If unfortunately next year, Hurricane Daryl or Hurricane Dana comes and I find myself in the same position, yes, I will have to get written up again,” Vaz said. “Extreme times require extreme actions.”
He added that waiting weeks for standard procurement procedures would have delayed deployment of the devices “for at least one month in a national disaster.”
The auditor general’s report also noted procedural irregularities, including that formal approval by ODPEM’s director general came after the devices had already been delivered, and that required documentation was completed retrospectively.
Accountability advocates have taken issue with Vaz’s response to the audit findings.
Jeanette Calder, executive director of the Jamaica Accountability Meter Portal (JAMP), said accepting good intentions as justification for breaching procurement laws could undermine public administration.
“If the minister’s infraction is not reproved, it would send a signal that any government official can violate laws by claiming good intentions and urgency,” Calder said following the report’s release.
Principal Director of National Integrity Action, Dr Gavin Myers, also stressed that public officials are bound by established rules, arguing that Vaz entered “areas that – by his role and duty – he shouldn’t have.”
Asked Wednesday whether legislation should be amended to allow greater flexibility in emergencies, Vaz said reform was inevitable.
“That that’s a no-brainer. My prime minister has already spoken on this issue and I look forward to what takes place going forward,” he said. “You cannot have the same guidelines in normal times that you have in extreme times.”
In a social media post about procurement processes during emergencies, former Chief Public Procurement Policy Officer for the Government, Andrei Bennett, said, “the rules are not the problem.”
“The rules in emergency are as follows: 1. Award the contract 2. Report the contract within 30 days. Would love to know how it can be simplified to enable better response,” he posted on February 4.
Starlink devices are user-operated satellite equipment developed by international technology firm SpaceX. They provide high-speed internet connectivity in areas where traditional networks are unavailable or disrupted.
The audit report noted that Vaz’s November 13, 2025, letter to the ODPEM director general directed the purchase of 200 Starlink Mini 4th Generation devices, valued at $12.12 million. It stated that, subsequent to the minister’s directive, ODPEM presented two invoices dated November 11, 2025, from a supplier, reflecting $12.12 million before tax.
It was also stated that, by way of correspondence dated November 13, 2025, the minister directed ODPEM to facilitate the payments to the supplier.
Follow The Gleaner on X, formerly Twitter, and Instagram @JamaicaGleaner and on Facebook @GleanerJamaica. Send us a message on WhatsApp at 1-876-499-0169 or email us at onlinefeedback@gleanerjm.com or editors@gleanerjm.com.

